Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Love Is a Verb















Tomorrow marks 40 years of a promise kept.

Through sickness and health, poverty and wealth, near-death and new life, joy and pain, long and solemn treks through overcast valleys, punctuated by momentary glimpses from life's peaks ... "I will" endured.

Surely, there were times when the feelings that once so easily led the actions and expressions of love were hard to find, when the attrition of work, kids, daily life and all its unmet expectations and disappointments threatened to smother the flame ... sever the tie ... separate what God had joined together. But "I will" endured.

Were there no I Corinthians 13 in my Bible, I would only have to consider the living example of the people who raised me to understand its fullest meaning. In a world that knows nothing of "genuine affection" or "considering others better than yourself," your story is so rare as to be mythical.

I know you pray for this same blessing in the lives of each of your kids. And because you showed us the way, there is hope for us. Happy Anniversary Mom & Dad.

No comments: